Monday, December 2, 2013

Team Great Britain Diver Tom Daley Has Something To Say: He's Gay; 19-Year-Old Cites Belief In Honesty As Reason To Come Out




In the United Kingdom, Tom Daley, the Team Great Britain diver, has announced in a self-filmed video that he has been romantically dating a man since the spring. "Now I feel ready to talk about my relationships," says the 19-year-old who won a bronze medal at the London Olympics in the 10-metre platform. in a five-minute video. "And come spring my life changed massively when I met someone and they make me feel so safe, happy and everything feels great. And that someone is a guy." Earlier this year, in September's edition of iconic gay magazine Attitude, Daley was voted the world's sexiest man and denied that he was homosexual. He was quoted in The Daily Mirror as saying: "I think it’s funny when people say I’m gay... I laugh it off. “I’m not. But even if I was, I wouldn’t be ashamed. It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest what people thought." His video, released on Monday morning, totally undermines what he said in that interview, thought he admits that he cherishes his private life. "Recently I was misquoted in an interview and it made me really angry and frustrated – emotions I had not felt before when reading something about myself," Daley continued. "For me honesty is something I really do believe it, and I've always been honest. One thing I've never felt that comfortable about are my relationships, because it is what I get asked even if it is a sports interview. 'Do you have a girlfriend, who are you seeing?' That kind of stuff. It did take me by surprise a little me. I did have in the back of my mind that something like that could happen. One thing I consider to be important is to have some form of private life ... I've only ever talked about things I feel comfortable about. In an ideal world I would not be doing this video because it should not matter. One thing I've never felt that comfortable about are my relationships, because it is what I get asked even if it is a sports interview. 'Do you have a girlfriend, who are you seeing?' That kind of stuff. I have been dating girls [but] I've never really had a serious relationship to talk about."

No comments: