Sunday, June 2, 2013

Two Arrested In Auckland New Zealand After Anti-Gay Attack; 19-Year-Old Mitch Kirdy And 21-Year-Old Benjamin Whatman Recovering From Gay Bashing

In New Zealand, two Auckland men have been left bloodied and bruised after allegedly being attacked because they were gay. Benjamin Whatman, 21, and his friend Mitch Kirdy, 19, had been for a drink at Family Bar on Karangahape Rd and were walking down Howe St when they were berated by two men at a bus stop, Gay Express reported. The men repeatedly called Whatman and Kirdy “faggots” and then attacked the pair. “I looked at him to say something and out of the corner of my eyes I saw that they were right behind us,” Kirdy said. “It was literally a split second later one guy had jumped on him and one guy jumped on me, he went face first to the ground. I had some guy smacking me in the face, around the head, kneeing me in the gut.” Bystanders eventually rushed over to break up the incident but not before the pair were injured. Kirdy ended up with a black eye, a bruised face and neck and a sore hip. Whatman suffered a swollen nose, split lip and a chipped tooth. “I am still in a state of shock; it hasn't really hit me yet,” he told GayNZ.com. “You never really expect these things to happen to you; you go through life seeing these awful things happening and it's just so hard to comprehend the reality of it in your own life. I also feel disgusted that a human being could do that to another human being.” Police arrived shortly after the incident finished and it is understood the two assailants were arrested.

No comments: